Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Decor and the Prep for the BIG DAY!

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday!

I love the fact that it's about being thankful for the good things in your life and a time to celebrate with family and friends with a wonderful, traditional meal.

Kevin and I have had a lot of different ways of celebrating Thanksgiving over the years. When the boys were young we spent many years driving to Seal Beach, CA to spend Thanksgiving at his parents house with Kevin's brothers and sister and their families. I still to this day use my mother-in-law's recipe for the best darn cole slaw on the planet! (We use only a vinaigrette dressing- no mayo for us!)

We spent Thanksgiving for about 8 years in Mammoth Lakes, skiing and pre-ordering a Turkey Dinner from Safeway that we could easily assemble after a long drive and full day of skiing! We ALWAYS watched the James Bond marathon (well, I fell asleep after about 15 minutes) after dinner and kept watch for the bears raiding the 'bear proof' trash cans. It was always a fun trip and usually involved some friends and extended family on occasion.

The past few years in Klamath Falls we have celebrated Thanksgiving at home with lots of company. We've had up to 20 people for dinner...with most of them camping out on the sleeper sofa couch, air mattresses and the extras queen beds/futons scattered all over the house. All bathrooms are shared, copious amounts of alcohol are involved, Christmas Vacation is always viewed at least once (and quoted numerous times),  and lots of questionable answers to numerous board games are supplied, resulting in constant laughter. Also, as my brother-in-law Jim said on one memorable Thanksgiving, "Your house always smells GOOD!". I pride myself on providing amazing meals and appetizers the entire time.

This year, since we've moved to Carson City, NV, we will have a pretty small crew, compared to past Turkey Day celebrations...there will only be 5 of us.

Of course, all of the above will apply- the fun, food and laughter...but I also decided to make the table decorations especially beautiful. I'm retired, after all, and I have lots of time on my hands...


One of the blogs I read on a regular basis is An Oregon Cottage
I love Jami's wonderful ideas on crafts, decor and recipes.

She had a fabulous idea for Thanksgiving for table decor, so naturally, I stole it.

I decided to break out the Noritake 'Viceroy' wedding china since I went with a gold/orange/brown/white decor.
I also spray painted a lovely muted copper color some beautiful pine cones I found during our trip to Zephyr Cove a couple of weeks ago as part of the decor.(You know, the ones I baked to kill the bugs and glaze the pitch that made the kitchen smell like pine pitch for a week...)
The metal turkey at the end of the table I purchased at a holiday sale in Klamath Falls a few years ago ( for a buck!) ...and the gold leaves are snipped from some cheesy plastic gold glitter sprays I used a couple of years ago for a Christmas project.
I also broke out the 1847 Rogers. Bros. silver/gold ware that we got as a wedding gift. It was pretty tarnished, even though I use it for a full 2 months of the year each year! I decided to polish it with some all natural Norwex paste and an Envirocloth and it came out looking brand new! Did I mention that I am a Norwex Consultant? OK, the commercial is done... LOL. But if you are interested in the all-natural products or in hosting a party, let me know!

The tablecloth is....a beautiful shower curtain. I didn't want to use the ginormous, gorgeous, handmade Portuguese lace white tablecloth and napkins we received as a wedding gift (it has to go to the dry cleaners) so I ...cheated. OK, the end that has places for the rings is at the far end...but no one will know unless they read my blog...

I also have set up the beautiful cream colored gravy boat and salad bowl that my sister brought me as a Turkey Day gift a few years ago...as well as my vintage Turkey platter that I found at a ...you guessed it...garage sale!

We've already got the Spode "Christmas Tree" pattern dishes out to decorate the China Hutch...
And I have already set up the entry way antique dresser as an appetizer/thankful station...

I totally stole this idea from Jami!
This will be filled with a cheese tray, nuts, veggies and fruits.
We will read whatever anyone writes as part of our Thanksgiving Day prayer.
Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving...and that we will all humbly thank GOD at dinner for the good things in our lives.

No comments: