Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hot Soup on a Cold Night

I told you about the Reno-Gazette Journal's Food section...well, today I made an amazing soup that they posted in the paper on Wednesday that sounded like something we would love...Cream of Celery Soup with Carmelized Apples and Blue Cheese. Oh, Yah. That's what I'm talking about...this recipe was actually lifted from the Sunset Magazine Book, "Cook Taste Savor".
I have listed the original link to the recipe for you here...Cream of Celery Soup from Sunset Magazine
I didn't make too many changes since it turned out so fantastic!
First, I  cleaned and chopped 1 whole head of celery. I put this in my enamel lined RED Dutch Oven - well, it's the largest pot I have out of a box at this point! Next, I peeled and chopped 1 red onion. I like red onion better in a soup recipe than a yellow onion because it adds a little more, um, I don't know, something sweet and some pretty color to the dish, usually.
I also added a little butter and put the heat on medium.
Then, I chopped one Granny Smith green apple and tossed it with 1 tsp of softened butter in a fry pan over medium. I left that to caramelize...I did add some Blue Agave, since it's lower on the glycemic index and I just like a pour-able sweet, don't you?

Next, I added a sprinkle of celery salt to the celery/onion mix and all of the chicken stock...

and I let her rip for 25 minutes.
The recipe does not call for croutons, but I LOVE crunchy croutons in my soup, so I had an extra hamburger bun in the oven...and voila! Croutons!
A little olive oil, some smoked paprika, some garlic powder all tossed with some chopped up bits of hamburger bun- thrown in the oven on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes and we have crunchy tasty heaven!
While all that was going on, I checked the apple to make sure it was getting crispy...
then I added the half and half to the soup and broke out the stick blender...

and voila! We had a delicious soup!
I added some croutons, some blue cheese crumbles and the caramelized apples....
and deliciousness....for dinner.

Try it, you' ll like it!!!

No comments: