Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Retirement and the Lazy Girl's Way To Dinner

I know, since I retired I've been finding more and more ways to tantalize you with my cooking creations!
Once in a great while I just want something that is fast and easy for dinner. Like, last night. Well, I did make a fabulous souffle for breakfast...anyhow, I read quite a few blogs on cooking, crafting, 'how-to' and faith. A recipe that appeared in Martha Stewart Living Magazine has been making the rounds in the blogosphere, so I decided to test it out on Kevin. Yes, I am talking about...One Pan Pasta

It really is that simple!
I made some adjustments, of course...but basically you add the following to a large pan:

(I used my Jamie Oliver 12.5" professional series stainless steel fry pan)

12 ounces of linguine (I used spaghetti since we prefer it over linguine)
12 ounces of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 thinly sliced onion (I used a red one)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (we like it spicy)
4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
2 sprigs of fresh basil
This is my 2 month old Trader Joe's basil plant, still going strong!

I added:

8 small homemade frozen meatballs
1/2 green pepper, diced
2 tablespoons of capers

The recipe calls for 4.5 cups of water, but I used 1 cup of white wine (Pinot Gris) and 3.5 cups of vegetable stock. Talk about a punch of flavor!



Pour the liquids into the pan along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and bring to a boil. Tossing the pasta frequently, boil until the pasta is al dente and the liquid is almost gone....about 9 minutes or so.

Serve with another tablespoon of olive oil and a little Parmesan if you like....and you probably will need some salt if you just used water.


This was delicious, easy and I only had to wash one pot, one knife, one cutting board, 2 forks, two plates and two wine glasses. Oh, did I forget to tell you to serve wine with dinner? We had this again for Sunday lunch...and probably for Monday and Tuesday lunch, too :) It makes a lot of food! Supposedly it feeds 4...but I am positive we will get 8 servings out of it! No salad or bread with this one!


No comments: