Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thursday's Post- Pasta Dinner

Once in a while, Kevin has something else to do and I end up eating dinner alone. It's not bad for me- I spend most of the time he's gone reading- and I make a meal that he doesn't like!

Last night was one of those nights...he didn't get home until quite late. I decided that I would make my favorite pasta dish in the entire world!

I love radiatore pasta. They are squat, thick little pasta that look like, well, little radiators, which is what radiatore means in Italian! Trader Joe's carries them this time of year...they are tri-colored for the holiday season!  Kevin is an 'angelhair' type of pasta guy- that's his favorite. He will tolerate linguini, spaghetti, and sometimes, penne, but he prefers thin pasta. Well, except for lasagna...

Anyhow, this dish is made with radiatore.






After I cooked the pasta, I added about 1 cup of frozen artichoke hearts to the hot pasta water to defrost.
After cooking the pasta and arti hearts, I took out a large pan. I used a teflon fry pan- it works really well for this dish.I added a tablespoon of olive oil, about 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste, 1 teaspoon of garlic paste and 1/2 teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes. Yep, I like it spicy!


 I know that many people 'think' they don't like anchovy paste, but let me tell you, it adds a special depth of flavor to food. It's not fishy-tasting at all. I sneak it into a lot of dishes! I also received this awesome garlic paste as part of a gift from my sister and brother in law, Darl & Jim...and I use it a lot!! Not sure where they found it- but it is a fantastic and deeply rich paste of garlic.  It is a heck of a lot easier than smashing garlic cloves and does not taste like raw garlic, either! YUM!



When the spicy mix was fragrant, I added 2 tablespoons of capers. I LOVE capers. They are salty and delicious little burst of savory flavor in any dish!


After adding the capers, I drained the pasta and artichokes and added them to the pan. I cooked them until everything was hot, and served dinner! It was SO delicious! Hot, spicy, salty, pasta with a little salad and a beer...it was so tasty and just hit the spot!

Kevin would have liked the salad...ha ha ha!

No comments: