Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, December 15, 2014

Sebastian Temple and me

Today, in 1997, Sebastian Temple was buried.

You may not know who he was, but he was one of the greatest influences on my life.

I was reminded of this today after reading my daily reflection from The Little Blue Book.

I remember when I was about 10 years old and was in 4th grade at St. Irenaeus in Cypress, CA. My teacher was Sister Mary Elizabeth. She was an Irish Presentation Sister and was a little homely, but she could sing like an angel and played the guitar like no one else!

I wanted to be just like her.

I sang in the choir, because, I loved singing and I actually had a good voice. (Still do!) I really wanted to get a guitar so I could accompany myself. OK, so I have always been a little vain :)

I prayed and prayed for a guitar for Christmas that year. I REALLY wanted a guitar.

On Christmas that day, I knew that there was a Santa. I got my guitar. I also got guitar lessons.
That was so important but I didn't think so at the time. I just wanted to learn to play...chords.
My parents insisted that I learned how to read notes and music and my teacher taught me classical guitar and flamenco. I can still play the etude in A minor :) I practiced and practiced..with the metronome, that drove my sister crazy. She hated that toc-toc-toc while I learned to keep correct time. Sorry, Darl!

Anyhow, back to Sebastian Temple. He wrote a song that really resonated with me and I still know all the words to this day without looking it up on the internet.

Now, I have never claimed to be a perfect person, and I have strayed. I am working on my faith, "in fear and trembling" as St. Paul says in Phillipians 2:12. But this song has been in the background of my life for a long time.

Those of you from San Francisco Solano Church in Rancho Santa Margarita CA and Sacred Heart in Klamath Falls OR will recognize this song, since I often sang it or used it as a reference.

Yes, I always wept when I sang this one...but, really, it is a song worthy of tears.

Anyhow, Sebastian Temple wrote many hymns that I loved and this is the one I loved the most...

Take My Hands by Sebastian Temple


Take my hands and make them as your own, and use them for your kingdom
here on earth.

Consecrate them to your care, anoint them for your service where you
may need your gospel to be sown.

Take my hands, take my hands, O Lord.
Take my hands, they speak now for my heart, and by their actions they
will show their love.

Guard them on their daily course, be their strength and guiding force
to ever serve the Trinity above.

Take my hands, take my hands, O Lord.
Take my hands, I give them to you, Lord. Prepare them for the
service of your name.

Open them to human need and by their love they'll sow your seed so all
may know the love and hope you gave.

Take my hands, take my hands, O Lord.

Here's the link to a youtube of Take My Hands if you want to hear the music...

Happy Advent!

No comments: