Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, March 24, 2014

Vegan Tacos

I decided that we (I) needed to have tacos for dinner tonight.
I thought that I could have some bean tacos and Kevin could have turkey tacos...I used half the turkey meat last night to make a couple of turkey burgers for Kevin (one for dinner, one to freeze) and saved the rest for turkey tacos tonight. I was thinking ahead....

I used this GREAT taco seasoning mix to season the meat for Kevin...
Mix together:
1 tsp. each of garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, chili powder, onion powder, kosher salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
Use 1 tablespoon per lb. of meat (ground chicken, turkey or beef)
cook the meat and spices until the meat is cooked through, Add 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 tsp of cornstarch and blend well. Cook until thick and creamy, whisking frequently.
Keep the remainder of the spice blend in a jar and use within 6 months.

I also made homemade pinto beans as the 'meat' of my taco...this recipe is fantastic!

2 cups of rinsed dried pinto beans
8 cups of water
2 tablespoons of cumin
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 small onion, grated
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes

Mix everything together in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours without peeking!
The beans will be creamy and delicious!

Some brown rice, corn with green peppers and red peppers, chopped lettuce, chopped tomato and sliced olives and a little Tapatio and you have a delicious dinner!


 Oh, and some delicious Icky IPA! Um, I think I need a refill....

No comments: