Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Ssamjang...Where Has This Been My Entire Life??

Kevin and I were lounging on the couch on Monday evening, after a long day of skiing, watching several episodes of, "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". I usually get some great recipe ideas from the show! It's a standard daily DVR special!

One episode showed Guy Fieri visiting a place...somewhere. OK, I don't remember. What I did remember was the delicious sounding concoction that a chef made to marinate a duck breast. ( I think...again, I wasn't paying real close attention or I'd give credit where credit is due)

I did pay attention when he called the marinade, "Ssamjang."

So, I googled it and decided to make some. It sounded like something we would both like- spicy, flavorful and a little sweet.

OMG. Where has this been all of my life?

To all of my friends who are Korean- how could you keep this a secret? This is incredible! The explosion of flavor and heat and sweet is amazing!

Here's the recipe I used:

2 teaspoons of sambal olek (chili paste)
2 teaspoons of white miso (soybean paste)
1 whole jalapeno, chopped
1 cayenne chili, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon of blue agave syrup
2 teaspoons of rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of black pepper

I blended everything in the food processor, adding a little bit of water to thin it out somewhat. I also didn't have a fresh cayenne chili, so I used a dried whole cayenne chili from last summer's garden instead. This made a little more than a cup of sauce. You can store it in the fridge....not sure how long this will last, but it's so yummy that I can see this going in a lot of recipes this week...

It's going on the veggie burger for tonight's dinner! YUM!





No comments: