Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Lovely Sunny Sunday!

Today has been a lazy day...and the weather has been just beautiful!

I made Huevos Rancheros for Kevin for a late brunch today...and I had fat-free vegan NO-Huevos Rancheros!

I baked a couple of corn tortillas at 400 degrees in the oven until they were crisp.
Then, I dry-sauteed 1/2 seeded jalapeno, 1/2 diced onion and 1 large diced clove of garlic in a non stick pan. I added some ancho chili powder, cumin and garlic powder and let it toast on the veggies for a minute or two, until it was fragrant. Then, I added 1 small diced tomato and 1 can of rinsed fat-free black beans and 1/2 cup of vegetable stock. I let the beans simmer until they absorbed the liquid and softened up a bit.

I put the tortilla on the plate and topped it with a beans...added some salsa, shredded lettuce and green onions, and topped it with guacamole.


Kevin had an over-easy fried egg on top of the beans and tortilla, with melted cheese, salsa, green onion and guacamole! It was delicious!

It's been so warm today that Kevin had to water the trees, plants and grass. I decided to finish some of the pruning and weeding that needed to be done. Bridget 'helped' me a bit....


...right after she played with her buddy next door, a darling little Yorkie boy named Butch! Butch is only 5 years old and a little bigger than Bridget, but he has the exact same coloring! They play like two puppies together! I'll try to get a picture next time they have a 'play date' because they are so adorable!
Isn't her little St. Patrick's Day bow cute?

Here are some great photos of our plants starting to flower in the yard...


We aren't sure what kind of tree this is- it's non-fruiting and has green leaves in the fall, but the pink flowers are gorgeous against the backdrop of the huge pine tree. Just ignore the pile of wood, charcoal BBQ and dog fences we have stored there...ha ha


The tiny yellow flowers on this bush are just beautiful and bright!


The parsley and thyme are doing fantastic in the backyard...


...and the squash that I planted from seed on March 1st is going gangbusters! I might have to get them in the ground sooner than I thought! We were thinking we would put them outside at the end of April, but looks like they might be going out even sooner! They are enormous!


At least the tomatoes, swiss chard and kale are behaving. We have the first true leaves on the tomatoes, so I'll be staking them soon.


One last picture of the cutest 11 year old Yorkie in the world, fighting the 5 mph breeze...

No comments: