Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, December 9, 2013

Advent Blogging Day Nine and Chicken Tater Tot Pie

Sometimes, you just want comfort food for dinner when it's cold and snowy and -8 degrees outside!



I thought about chicken pot pie, but Kevin doesn't like pie crust very much on savory foods. Now, if I made a cherry pie for dinner, he's eat the entire thing!

I decided to make a chicken pot pie casserole...but I had the inspiration to use tater tots as a crust. It turned out REALLY good!

First, I diced up all the veggies I could find in the fridge- 1/2 jalapeno, 1/2 onion, 2 peeled carrots, 2 stalks of celery, 1 small red bell pepper, 1 small yellow bell pepper, 15 sugar snap peas, 6 spears of asparagus, and 1/2 can of water chestnuts. Sorry, the photo editor is not cooperating today- I had some beautiful photos!

Then, I diced 2 cloves of garlic and put a pan on the stove over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.

While the pan heated up, I chopped up a couple of poached boneless skinless chicken breasts. (I always keep a couple already cooked or grilled in the fridge for last minute salads, wraps or dinner)
I mixed one can of cream of chicken soup with 1/2 can of half and half and blended it together in a separate bowl.

When the pan was hot, I added the vegetables and sauteed them for about 5 minutes. I added 1/2 cup of frozen peas and stirred them in to the veggie mixture along with the chopped chicken breasts. Then, I added the cream of chicken soup/half and half mixture and cooked for a few minutes, until it was nice and thick. I removed it from the stove to cool a bit.

I sprayed a casserole dish with non-stick spray, then poured the mixture into the casserole dish.

I topped the chicken and veggie mixture with frozen tater tots.


Some of the pictures are cooperating but not all of them!

Then, I sprinkled about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top and popped it into a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. This is a small Le Creuset casserole dish- 10" x 7". (Thanks, Eleni!!) It gets a lot of use in our house with just the two of us!


It smelled fabulous while it was cooking...and tasted even better!


A little green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers and some homemade blue cheese dressing, and we had a down-home country dinner on a chilly winter night!


Oh, and of course, a glass of wine :)

No comments: