Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, March 15, 2013

Fridays in Lent...Shrimp Burgers

We decided to make some shrimp burgers for dinner tonight. I had some frozen shrimp that needed to be used up pretty soon and we are tired of fish sticks!

I have blogged about Rachael Ray's Shrimp Burger recipe before...it's REALLY good!
I have made some changes to make it even better...in my humble opinion.
It's sort of paleo...yes, I added breadcrumbs since it does kind of fall apart if you use the original recipe.
Here's the original- which, by the way is pretty good...Rachael Ray's Spicy Shrimp Burgers
And here's MY version...
1/2 lb. of cleaned and de-veined shrimp
1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper (I used red, yellow and orange)
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 tsp. Phillips Seafood Seasoning (or, Old Bay)
1/2 tsp. salt -only if you use Phillips- Old Bay has a lot of salt in it!
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. of sambal olek ( or chili garlic sauce, or rooster sauce aka sriracha sauce)
add all of it to a food processor and process until everything is chunky and comes together.
Get a cast iron skillet medium hot and add 1/4 inch of oil. I used grapeseed oil. Drop 4 blobs of the shrimp mixture into the oil and gently press into a round burger-ish shape. Cook for about 3 minutes, flip and continue to cook for 3 more minutes.(if you have extra, like me, because you don't measure- just put some blobs of shrimp mix between either parchment paper or wax paper and pop into a freezer ziplock bag and then, gently squeeze the air out and freeze. These are good for at least 6 months. )
Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, homemade tartar sauce (with homemade mayo!) fresh seasonal veggies
like- asparagus...
and sweet potato fries. Well, Kevin hated the fries. He does not like sweet potatoes, but he did give his sweet potatoes to the Yorkies....I ate mine. I LOVE sweet potatoes! This is my plate...
And, Kevin had a hamburger bun. Not me!
The Tartar sauce is a grand total of:
1/2 cup of homemade mayo
3 home canned dill pickles chopped very fine
1/4 cup of very finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
the juice of one Meyer's Lemon from our lemon tree
mix well in a blender or food processor and then, let it set for at least an hour. You can keep this for at least a week and it will be DELISH!!
Hope you like this!




No comments: