Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 20, 2013

This will convert you into loving Brussels Sprouts!

I am feeling a little guilty about having a Trader Joe's 1/2 mile from my house. When we lived in Rancho Santa Margarita CA I went to TJs at least once a week ...if not more. Ralphs and Albertsons and Pavillions just couldn't compete!  For the seven years we lived in KFalls, I went to Trader Joe's on my way back and forth to the OC...with a cooler. If I had a road trip to Bend, I brought a cooler..and filled it with Trader Joe's products. I know, I'm spoiled.
This week I bought an unusual product that has resulted in tasty food- 'dried' Thai Chili Paste and bagged Brussels Sprouts.
We grew Brussels Sprouts in Klamath Falls for a few years- I think I posted pictures a few years ago of Brussels Sprouts stalks growing in the snow...yes, we had them for Thanksgiving a few times! I love Brussels Sprouts- Kevin, not so much. He thinks they taste like cabbage..well, yah, they sort of do but they are so much better! Sigh.
The 'dried' Thai Chili Paste is pretty good- I sprinkled it on top of some thin cut rib eye steaks last night for the BBQ and they were pretty good- very mild and not hot flavor. I also added them to the scrambled eggs this morning and it was tasty!
The Brussels Sprouts needed some more attention.
Oh, did I mention that it's shrimp night, too?
I cut the core out and halved the brussels sprouts and soaked them in salted water for an hour...and I defrosted the frozen shrimp in a little Johnny's Garlic Spread (thanks, Costco!) and white wine.
Then I found this fabulous recipe for roasted Brussels Sprouts in Sherry Cream Mushroom Sauce....holy God this was fantastic!  Kevin even said it was "OK". That is high praise, indeed!
Of course, I added my own touches...so here it is!

Core and half 1/2 lb. of fresh Brussels Sprouts
Soak the Brussels Sprouts in  a bowl of 1 tablespoon of salt with enough water to cover the Brussels Sprouts . Add 1/2 package of dried Trader Joes' mixed mushrooms and soak for an hour.

Drain well and save the liquid!
Toss the Brussels Sprouts with 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground pepper. Pour into a single layer on a roasting tray and set aside.
Drain the mushrooms and set aside for a bit. Save the liquid!
Fry up 4 strips of Turkey bacon in 1 tsp. of oil (you can use real bacon if you want) and render the fat.

Remove the strips and chop. Save the fat and add 1 chopped clove of garlic.
Add the drained mushrooms and fry for about 10 minutes, then add 1 cup of the mushroom liquid and let it boil!
When it is almost dry, add 1/4 cup of Sherry and 1/2 cup of half and half.
Continue cooking the sauce while you put the Brussels Sprouts in the oven and roast at 400 for 15 minutes until brown and crisp on the outside and tender on the inside!
Toss the cooked Brussels Sprouts with the mushroom-cream-sherry mixture and heat until boiling, then turn the heat down very low.
Add the chopped bacon, and serve.
Seriously, this will get you rave reviews! It is absolutely delicious!

No comments: