Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 11, 2013

Fall, Finally!

It's getting chilly here in Carson City. It feels like Fall. We have had a couple of very chilly nights and the trees are starting to turn colors...
Bridget and I are going for a walk every day! We get to see some great scenery and watch the colors change daily...
And even though we have some wonderfully warm days right now and to come for the next 10 days- I am loving this FALL weather! 
Fall makes me think about...stew. And...stuffed squash. And...soup. My favorite time of year also happens to feature my favorite kind of cooking! 
It's not easy having a Trader Joe's about 1 mile from the house....I keep finding great Fall food- like, Acorn Squash. 
We had stew earlier this week-and I do make an amazing stew! I use tomato paste instead of flour on the meat to offer a dark and delicious broth. Anyhow, onto the topic at hand...stuffed squash!
Last night I decided to half an acorn squash after a thorough scrubbing. I seeded it and cut the bottom and the stem. 
I steamed it in the microwave in a little water for 8 minutes. 
Then, I started to cook! 
I took 2 slices of sourdough bread and cut it into small chunks. I tossed the chunks with a little olive oil, sweet smoked paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper. I spread them out on a cookie sheet. I tossed this in the oven at 300 for about 5 minutes.

Next, I chopped 1/4 onion, 2 stalks of celery, 2 garlic cloves, 2 small jalepenos (seeded and stemmed) and 4 crimini mushrooms (cleaned and stemmed) 
I chopped into large chunks 2 sweer Italian sausage links from Trader Joe's. Yum! The veggies and sausage went into our cast iron skillet to saute until the mushrooms gave up their liquid. 

This was tossed in with the now browned seasoned sourdough and a little chicken stock was added for some moisture. 

I stuff it into the now-softened acorn squash halves and shredded some mozzarella and parmesan cheese on the top. 

You are gonna hate me, but we ate it all for dinner and I forgot to take a picture of the beautifully browned cheese-veggie-crouton stuffing! 
It was SO DELICIOUS!!! 
Sorry about that missing photo....


No comments: