Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Zucchinifest

Our garden has been producing a lot of squash for the past few weeks!
We've been eating squash or zucchini at least once a day (sometimes I've had it for breakfast) and we've had tomatoes for dinner every night for the past two weeks. I've been bringing 20-25 lbs. a week to the food bank, too-plus our neighbors and Church friends are loving the fresh squash! I have to say, (modestly) Kevin and I do have a green thumb.
There's a blog I follow that I absolutely love called "An Oregon Cottage". I've posted recipes by Jami on my site before - notably, the salad dressing recipes- but she had some delicious zucchini recipes!
Last night I made zucchini fritters that were fantastic!
Tonight, I made one of Jami's 'stuffed zucchini' recipes that is a little different from the one I usually cook. It was fantastic and I think that you should try it! Especially since it's "National Sneak Zucchini on Your Neighbor's Porch" month...according to my friend, Art Sayles.
Here's Jami's recipe... Fresh Corn and Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
I cut this in half and added some salt, pepper and garlic salt. I also used 4 breakfast sausages (that's what I had in the fridge) and I also added 1/4 cut of diced zucchini...since I had to cut a little more off the ends to fit them in the pot! 


We got our first two ears of 'Festivity Corn' that were sweet and tender! I cut the kernels off to add to the dish.
I cut a zucchini in half and cut the ends off. I added them to a pan with just enough water to cover the zukes. I added a tsp. of kosher salt and brought to a boil for 5 minutes. I drained them and let them cool.
In the meantime, I cut up the sausage and fried it up in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I added 1/4 cup of sweet vidalia onion chopped, 4 small slices diced of the zucchini, and 1/4 each of kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder. After a few minutes, I added 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and mixed it in very well. then, I added the corn kernels and 8 diced Sweet Million fresh cherry tomatoes from my garden!  I added 1/4 cup of freshly shredded parmesano-reggiano and mixed well.
I used a melon-baller like Jami and took out the mushy middle of the zucchini...except I gave mine to the chickens to eat as a treat!
Then, I stuffed the zukes with the mix, and topped it with a little more parm.


I put the zukes in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
In the meantime...this morning, my favorite local bakery, the Green Blade, put a notice on Facebook that they had a limited supply of freshly baked basil cheese loaves. So, on the way into the office I stopped by and got a loaf that was 'too hot to slice'. I told the lady at the counter to just dump it in a paper bag and I'd let it cool before I cut it :)
I sliced it up, grilled it with a little olive oil and parm cheese and served it on the side...ok, yes, I burned it a tiny bit. It was still good!
We lost our sweet Ceili girl German Shepherd this week so it's been a sad and difficult time for me, Kev and the Widge (Bridget the Yorkie) . Bridget thought Ceili was her momma- she practically raise Bridget from age 6 weeks. I am still waking up at night, weeping over Ceili's death. I miss her so much. It does not help matters that we also lost Gretchy a couple of months ago. Sigh. I know it was Ceili's time- she gave every bit of her love and affection to us, right up until her last moments. She was such a funny girl and she loved people food- even if she didn't like the taste...she forced it down. Especially to take it away from the other dogs!! She had lots of zucchini over the years, since we have grown it forever...so I know she would have choked this down!
Rest in Peace, Ceili. I know you are waiting for us at the gates of heaven...along with Sarge, Jolie, Chinook, Panzer, and Gretchen. Can't wait to see you again...healthy, happy and forever young.




 

No comments: