Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Cooking for a Chilly Day

We have had a couple of really cold days and REALLY cold (below freezing!) nights during the past week, so I have been in the mood to make yummy, oven-baked, comfort foods.
I made a delicious pot roast tonight, using Ree Drummond's Perfect Pot Roast recipe. You all might know her as The Pioneer Woman on Food Network.
This recipe was simple and delicious. Just follow her recipe, and you can't go wrong!
Notes: I did use 1 cup of red wine to deglaze and I also added 1 cup of chopped celery. I did not use rosemary since Kevin does not like it, but I did use thyme from my sadly dwindling herb pot that froze last night.  I also used 2 cups of beef broth and covered with aluminum foil instead of using a lid. I didn't have the right size pot, so I used my caphalon roasting pan right on the stove top, and transferred it to the stove, using heavy duty foil as a cover. It came out tender and tasty! I cooked a 3 lb chuck roast for 4 hours. Perfecr.



I also decided to make a recipe that I 'pinned' on Pinterest a couple of days ago...Mac n Cheese stuffed Pretzel Bites with Beer Cheese Sauce from the Food Graciousness blog...it's written by a dad who has a passion for food (his tagline). He has some great recipes- check out his blog!!

I decided to NOT use the bacon on the pretzel bites- they looked amazing as they were...so I skipped that step and just brushed the stuffed pretzels with the beaten egg and topped with some kosher salt before baking.

Also- this makes a SERIOUS amount of dough. I only made 15 pretzels and I think I have enough cheese dough in the fridge to make 2 large pizzas! I would consider cutting the recipe in HALF, at least, unless you have a very hungry gang to feed. Since it's just me and Kevin, I made 15 pretzels (OK, I thought we were hungry!) and we at...um, 4.

That's right- I have 11 pretzel bites to bring to work tomorrow for my dispatcher friends. Hope they like them!

They were incredibly good...but the beer cheese sauce was AMAZING!!!




You need to make these! They are incredibly good! They taste like a soft pretzel stuffed with creamy mac and cheese dipped in a rich cheese sauce..oh, wait. That is exactly what they are! Enjoy!


No comments: