Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 7, 2013

You will love these "Aloha" baby back ribs!

OK, please forgive me, I forgot to take pictures. I know, hard to believe since I usually have my trusty iPhone in hand....but I was so excited by using our new Bradley Electric Smoker that I just got into the recipe and food and failed to take pictures. You will love this recipe if you have a smoker, though!
Brian and Patty came over for dinner tonight. We haven't hung out with them for a while so we wanted to do something special and the first thing we though of was...ribs. And, cole slaw. And, Hawai'i.
Albertsons had a pretty good price for babyback ribs so we bought two full racks. Go Big, or Go Home is our motto!
We marinated them overnight with this mix that I made up since it sounded good and Hawai'ian-ish:
1/2 cup of tamari (dark soy sauce)
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
2 tbsp. of dried ginger ( I could not find fresh for the life of me although I would strongly suggest fresh!)
1/4 cup of pineapple juice ( or whatever you can drain from a small can of chopped pineapple)
1/4 cup of orange juice (or Sunny Delight, hey, use what you got!)
1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. Hawai'ian salt (oh! just happened to have some around from our trip in Feb-Mar)
1 Tbsp. of freshly ground Szechwan peppercorns ( or red pepper flakes if you can't find them)

 Then today, I drained the marinade (SAVE THE MARINADE) , patted the ribs dry and deeply seasoned and patted in the following dry rub that was mixed together well:
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. Hawai'ian salt
2 tbsp. smoked sweet paprika
2 tbsp. light brown sugar

Then, we put them in the smoker at 225 degrees on a couple of racks for 1.5 hours.
Boil the marinade for at least 5 minutes. Add some water if needed, so it doesn't turn into a sludge. Cool.

After the bark has developed on the ribs, remove from the smoker and place each set of ribs in an aluminum foil pack with a little of the boiled marinade brushed on either side. Seal tightly and place all the rib packs on a tray in a 300 degree oven. Bake for 2 hours.

Unwrap, and serve. This does not need sauce. We served a vinaigrette cole slaw, brown jasmine rice and a mix of zucchini and yellow squash.
YUM.
Sorry for no pics, but I was otherwise engaged!
Oh, and serve with a wonderful old vine zin....like Twisted Old Vine Zin. We drank several bottles...and didn't need any desert!



No comments: