Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Smashed Potatoes with Lemon

I am working my way through some Christmas gifts from my lovely Daughter in law, Melissa. We share a love of cooking and some of the Food Network Celebrity Chefs!!
One of the chefs we both love is Giada de Laurentiis....one of the several cookbooks Melissa gave me for Christmas is, "Weeknights with Giada",  and I am trying to get through as many of the recipes as possible!

Tonight, with some thin cut quick pan-fried rib eye steaks, I made "Smashed Potatoes with Lemon". Amazing!!!
Smashed Potatoes with Lemon

First, I picked up some beautiful tiny locally grown yukon gold potatoes. I washed them, and boiled them for about 20 minutes. I drained them, dried them over the remaining heat on the stove, and then, gently smashed them.
I chopped some garlic and flavored the oil in the fry pan with it for a good 1 minute. I removed the garlic (and I added it to the lemon and herb mix) and dumped the potatoes in to fry on one side.
I also squeezed and zested a beautiful Meyer's Lemon from my lemon tree in the breakfast nook window.
 I added some chopped flat leaf Italian parsley and lemon thyme from the herb pots in the window, finely chopped, with a little kosher salt and some DELICIOUS freshly ground applewood smoked peppercorns (Thanks, Gene and Carla!!) Mixed it all together in anticipation of the crispy, fried potatoes.
I fried the potatoes in the garlic flavored oil for about 6 minutes on each side, then tossed them in the lemony dressing.
This was incredibly delicious!
You should make these! I made a LOT less than Giada's recipe because, well, it's just me and Kevin and the dogs are not fond of lemon....neither are the chickens...but it's OK, I seriously licked the plate. No one was looking!!! Yes, I did put the dishes in the dishwasher...I'm not that low class :)


No comments: