Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Habemus Papam!

I thought I should write something about our new Pope, Francis.
I think I'm going to like him.
He is a Jesuit. (yes, I do love that order! St. Ignatius of Loyola, you rock!)
He is a champion of the poor. (um, like St. Francis)
He is a simple and humble man who cooks his own meals and takes public transportation. (St. Francis, again!)
He is from South America.
He paid his hotel bill out of his own pocket after being elected Pope.
He told a little joke when he first spoke to the entire WORLD.
He prayed for the past Pope and for US and gave us absolution from our sins and an indulgence as his first act as Pope.
Yes, I know, he is a conservative as far as Church teaching is concerned, but the Cardinals can't be anything but conservative in Church doctrine or teaching, or they won't chosen as a Cardinal or elected Pope.
I know a lot of people who are not Catholic who don't understand, and many Catholics don't understand, but you can't be elevated to the position of Cardinal unless you are an ardent adherent to the teachings of the Catholic Church. I'm a little surprised that anyone expected anything else.
BUT-He is ...different.
At the first Mass he presided over as "Pope" he said , "Preghiamo"..." Let us Pray". And then, he paused, and prayed with his eyes closed. Then, he realized he had said it in Italian (not Latin) and said, "Oremus".
He has already broken with protocol for a Pope.
I think he's going to clean up the Curia, and he will be a reformer.
We will see.
Holy Father- just don't ignore and exclude all those who are marginalized, those who think the Church has abandoned them, those who disagree with some Church teachings...because of their conscience.
As for me, and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Amen.

No comments: